Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Neulasta and Bone Pain

I mentioned Neulasta before. Because chemo can reduce your white blood cells, increasing your risk of infections, Neulasta is given to help the body make white blood cells. For my first chemo session, a self-injecting patch called Neulasta Onpro was applied to my belly. A few minutes after application, it automatically stung me with a small needle. The needle then withdrew and left a thin catheter in my belly. 

Twenty-seven hours later, it beeped and started delivering Neulasta over a 45-minute period. It didn't hurt. I just felt a little warmth in the area. When it was done, it beeped again. There was as indicator to show that the patch was now empty. I pulled off the patch from the narrow end and could see the catheter. A tiny spot of blood appeared on my belly, and I cleaned off the area with soap and water.

Front of the cartridge showing it's empty.

Back of the cartridge showing catheter on top.

Neulasta affects histamine, inducing inflammation and swelling in the bone marrow and resulting in bone pain. The antihistamine Claritin decreases inflammation and swelling in the bone marrow and therefore reduces the pain. My chemo instructions said to start Claritin tomorrow, but I started it this morning and will continue for at least 5 days.

When Ma got Neulasta, she was in severe pain and needed Vicodin. My oncologist said she had never heard of pain that bad from Neulasta. But there are many reports from women who experience unbearable bone pain even when they take Claritin. Now I'm worried. Maybe I should have started Claritin yesterday and continue for at least 10 days. I can also take Tylenol. There's a study showing that Claritin and Pepcid AC may work together.

No comments: