Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Prepping for Chemo

I've decided to join the study at Stanford. This morning I got a call that they require a urine pregnancy test for the study even though it's been 1.5 years since my last period and I've done nothing to get pregnant!

My first chemo is set for Tuesday, Dec. 1. On Monday I have an appointment with a breast surgeon at Stanford followed by an ultrasound of my axilla. I hope they don't find any swollen lymph nodes. 

Tuesday I start off with a blood test, an exam by an oncologist, then chemo infusion. The infusion appointment is for 7 hours. I hope it doesn't take that long. The blood test and exam add another two hours. It's going to be a very long day.

This afternoon I had a long phone call with the nurse coordinator about what to expect from my chemo. There are so many drugs I have to take aside from the chemo. Here's a partial list.

Dexamethasone Take two 4 mg tablets the day before, day of, and day after chemo. This is for nausea and allergic reactions to the chemo.

Zofran Take 8 mg every 8 hours for nausea, starting the day after chemo and continuing for 3 days.

Compazine Also for nausea. Take as needed if Zofran doesn't work.

Ativan Take 1 mg at bedtime the day of and day after chemo and continuing as needed. For nausea and anxiety and to help me sleep because dexamethasone can cause insomnia.

I've purchased a lot of over-the-counter meds and other stuff for the side effects I'm expecting. I'll list the brand names, but I bought generics for most of them.

Constipation
Colace stool softener
Senokot laxative
Prunes

Diarrhea
Imodium
Bidet spray (yay!)

Mouth sores
L-Lysine
Lip balm
Baking soda
Salt
Dry mouth lozenges
Milk of Magnesia

Nausea
Mints
Pepcid AC
Aromatherapy inhaler for nausea
Barf bags

Fever
Thermometer

Pain
Tylenol
Advil
Aleve
Claritin (for bone pain due to Neulasta)
Emla (for the port)

Hair loss
Hairnet
Beanies

I think I'm ready. Maybe I should buy more toilet paper.


No comments: