Monday, November 9, 2020

Painful Biopsy

I had a biopsy before and had very little pain. I was expecting the same thing for this biopsy, but that wasn't the case. It was a vacuum-assisted biopsy. The lidocaine was delivered by the device and stung a bit. The first few core sample didn't hurt too badly. But when the radiologist went deeper, I yelled in pain. She gave me more lidocaine and tried again. It still hurt! She said she'd given me twice the amount of lidocaine she usually gives patients and has never had it hurt like that before. I think she gave me even more lidocaine after that because I remember her trying again, and it still hurt.

She said she might have to cancel the procedure. I did not want to go through that again. Fortunately she switched to a manual device, and my pain level dropped from 9/10 to 3/10. I read somewhere that those vacuum-assisted devices are more painful. Also the tumor is in the more sensitive nipple area.

I was so sore afterwards. Fortunately cousin Nancy insisted on coming with me and drove me home

No comments: