Thursday, May 27, 2021

Ophthalmologist

I saw an ophthalmologist today. After my chemo ended three months ago, I started getting lots of styes. It got better after a while, but now it's not improving at all. I was hoping I could get something to get rid of the styes, but there's nothing that will work. The doctor said the styes will go away in 6 to 9 months. 😕


It doesn't look too obvious in the photo, but there are several styes in my eye. I keep accidentally poking the large one. There are not as many styes in the other eye, and they're a lot smaller. Incidentally, my eyebrows have filled out, but my eyelashes are still fairly short.

Another reason for visiting an ophthalmologist was to confirm that my tear ducts are not blocked due to my chemo treatment. To test it, the doctor picked up a syringe with a needle. The needle had a blunt tip, but as it got closer and closer to my eye, I was 😧. He didn't explain what he was about to do, and I was afraid to ask. I believe he inserted the needle into the punctum (the hole in the corner of the eyelid where tears drain out) and flushed it with saline. I let him know when I felt the saline in the back of my throat. He pulled out the needle, then he did the other eye. It didn't hurt, but it was a bit scary.

Anyway, it's good to know that my tear ducts are not blocked. A patient in my support group had this problem, and she had to have stents inserted in her puncta under general anesthesia.

No comments: