Thursday, June 26, 2008

Possibly More Surgery

One of the thoracic surgeons stopped by. He said if Ma's fluids don't clear up by tomorrow, she will need surgery again. It's going to be the same procedures as before -- VATS and pleurodesis. This afternoon she had an ultrasound done on her abdomen. I don't know what the doctor expects to find.

I don't like Ma's new day shift nurse. Maybe she was just too busy today, but she seems easily flustered. This morning, it took her almost two hours to give Ma her pain medication. Then she gave Ma the antibiotic IV for another patient. As Ma pointed out to her, she should have checked the name on the IV bag against Ma's ID bracelet. I know she was busy, but isn't that why they have these cross-checking procedures -- so that they don't make mistakes like this especially when they're busy? Fortunately, the other patient's medicine is the same as Ma's. Nevertheless, if they assign her to Ma again tomorrow, I will ask for another nurse.

There was a little excitement today. As I was walking down the hall, the fire alarms started ringing, and the intercom announced, "Code Red, Code Red!" Doors everywhere started closing automatically. I thought I was trapped in the hallway, but the doors were actually unlocked, and I managed to get back to Ma's room. Ten to fifteen minutes later, the All Clear was given. It turned out the alarm was triggered by someone smoking on the first floor.

No comments: