Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Breathing Exercises

I just found out that wi-fi is available at the hospital. Woohoo! The other hospital didn't have it, and neither did the other hospitals I've visited in the area, so I assumed Summit would be the same way. I'm happy to find out otherwise.

The physical therapist made Ma walk without a walker. She was able to do it with a little help. Hopefully she'll be able to walk unassisted by the time she goes home.

The amount of fluid draining from Ma's lung is worrisome. Her surgeon is on vacation. Maybe we can catch his backup tomorrow and ask him about it.

Her nurse ordered an incentive spirometer so that Ma can exercise her lungs. I thought they usually give you one right after surgery. I don't know why it took so long to get one. Ma is having trouble getting the hang of it. I run out of breath myself just watching her try to use it. She breathes too fast and seems unable to hold her breath. Kit told her to pinch her nostrils when inhaling, and that seems to help.

No comments: