Friday, March 5, 2021

Tumor Gone

I had an MRI, mammogram and ultrasound this week. The tests show that the tumor is gone. There is calcification and/or possibly DCIS (pre-cancer) where the tumor used to be. 

My oncologist thinks I should have surgery. There could be cancer cells remaining that the tests are not sensitive enough to catch. We didn't even discuss radiation, which like surgery, I'm hoping to avoid.

I see my breast surgeon again on Monday. She will probably recommend at least a lumpectomy followed by radiation. Both the surgery and radiation are supposed to get rid of the microscopic cancer cells, but it's not 100% guaranteed.

This afternoon I called UCSF to get a second opinion from a breast surgeon who is studying whether women are being overtreated. It will take them a couple of days to review my case, then they'll call me to set an appointment. 

When I went for my MRI on Tuesday, I thought they'd be able to use my port for the contrast dye, but they could not because I had to lie face down during the test. The nurse inserted a needle in my left arm but could not get past the valve in my vein. She tried my right arm. Same problem. Third time's the charm. She switched to a smaller butterfly needle and successfully started the IV using my hand. I thought it would really hurt but was no worse than using my arm.

Because I thought they would use my port, I applied EMLA cream to numb it up and covered it with a bandage called Tegaderm. When I removed the Tegaderm later, some of my skin came off with it. Ouch. It really stung for a couple of days. I had never had a problem with Tegaderm before. Maybe my skin came off because it has gotten so thin and dry, and I used Tegaderm two days in a row.  I'll have to remember to let the nurses know next time I go for an infusion. They also use Tegaderm on my port during my infusion, and there is another type of bandage they can use for those who are sensitive to Tegaderm.

No comments: