Sunday, July 9, 2023

Pain is Gone

I hope I don't jinx it by saying this, but most, if not all, of my pain is gone. A month ago, I would have said I'm in pain every day, but not anymore. I do still have some soreness and stiffness, but the sharp pains in my hips are gone. The pain was caused by the aromatase inhibitor I was taking.

I just tested it. The bed in the guest room is a bit too high for me, and climbing into it always hurt my hips. It didn't hurt at all this time.

A month ago, my pain peaked. Every movement of my legs and hips hurt to the point where I was in tears. Tylenol did not help. I happened to be chatting with Ate Rose at the time, and she recommended ibuprofen, but I didn't have any. I did have Aleve (naproxen) and took two tablets that night. It made a huge difference! There was still a bit of pain, so I bought some ibuprofen the next morning and took two tablets. I haven't taken any painkillers since then, and it seems that my pain gradually disappeared.

What could have caused the sharp pain to go away? Some things that I did recently:

  1. I had physical therapy for my legs because I had difficulty getting up from a squat or even just lowering myself to the floor. It seems I'm always picking up stuff from the floor and also have to squat to squeegee my shower stall after a shower. The physical therapist said the exercises she gave me would help not just my thighs but also my hip pain.
  2. I've since stopped the PT exercises and switched to doing free weights, especially for my upper legs.
  3. Now that summer's here, I've been eating a lot more fruits, not just in terms of quantity but also variety. This includes a lot of fresh cherries, which have a good anti-inflammatory property.
  4. I drank tart cherry juice but just one bottle over several days. Tart cherry juice is often recommended in the aromatase inhibitor forum I frequent.
  5. For the entire month of June, I took Claritin daily. Claritin has an anti-inflammatory property.
  6. As mentioned above, I took Aleve and ibuprofen but just two doses.

I don't how much the above actions helped. Most possibly helped (I have doubts about Claritin), but maybe something else caused my pain to ease up. I hope it doesn't return.

No comments: