Monday, August 23, 2021

Zometa Side Effects

At my every-three-weeks infusion Friday, I was given a new drug, Zometa. It has a long list of side effects: dizziness, headache, flu-like symptoms (such as fever, chills, muscle/joint aches), cough, vision problems, diarrhea, constipation, tired feeling, joint or muscle pain.

The side effect I was most concerned about was dizziness. But my doctor was most concerned about pain. I was given Tylenol before the infusion and directed to take more when I get home. The infusion lasted only 20 minutes. I felt fine in the evening, just a little bit tired.

The next morning I went to the farmers market. After I got home, I felt very tired and had to take a nap. That's when I got the flu-like symptoms. I didn't feel well at all and was shivering even though I didn't really feel cold. I didn't bother taking my temperature because I had taken Tylenol.

In the afternoon I got up to eat and attend my support group session. After the session ended, I went back to bed and slept fitfully till the next morning. At one point I woke up and noticed muscle pain in both arms, joint pain in the fingers of my left hand, and muscle pain in both thighs. Thank goodness I took more Tylenol or the pain would have been worse. 

Most of the pain was gone by morning. I still felt tired but was fine after a few hours. The side effects lasted 48 hours. My doctor said they usually last 24-72 hours.

I will get Zometa every six months.  The dose I was given was 3 mg, which is what the endocrinologist suggested a couple of weeks ago. The good news is that the side effects usually happen at the first infusion only. But not always. For some patients it happens at every infusion. 

No comments: