Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Visitation

Ma usually shows up early for appointments and parties, sometimes half an hour early. It's ironic she was late for her own wake. Viewing was supposed to start at 1:00 Friday, November 27 (Thursday was Thanksgiving), but her casket didn't arrive till 1:40. I didn't ask what caused the delay.

Ma looked very different. Her face was still very bloated, and her skin had turned very dark (from the chemo, I hear). I didn't like how she looked at all. It was like saying goodbye to a stranger. I'm glad I made an enlarged copy of her photo from before she got sick (this one) so that people would remember what she really looked like.

Ma & Pa's friends and relatives have been incredibly helpful. They brought lots of food to the funeral home and lent a helping hand whenever needed.

I'm not sure how many people showed up. Probably more than 200. I'm sure there were over 150 at the prayers in the evening.

Among the relatives who flew or drove from out of town were Joy, Emily, Ate Rose, Fr. Rene, Romeo, Jess & Helen, and Alvin & Hylee. I saw people I hadn't seen in years. My miserable facial recognition skills were put to the test. I've never hugged or shaken hands with so many people. Ma's cardiologist stopped by briefly. A few nurses also visited. Even patients of Pa's came to pay their respects.

A family friend led the novena and rosary. Fr. Rene read the gospel and gave a homily. Cousins (Vicky, Beth, Jess & Tricia) and a family friend were kind enough to deliver eulogies. Dorothy read a eulogy sent by a close cousin of Ma's.

A family friend made the casket flowers and boutonnieres and refused to be reimbursed for the cost. I was afraid there'd be no other flowers, but I needn't have worried. There were two arrangements from the hospital, one from the cardiology practice that Ma frequented, another from the pharmacy, and one from the termite company. Their office is in the same building as Pa's, and they've known Ma & Pa for years. Cousin Sonny & family sent flowers. So did my friend & Kit's friend Joy along with Kit's other friends Lore, Laura & Noriko. Another relative also sent flowers. My high school classmates Joji & Corette came with their husbands. The family of another classmate Baba also visited. Her mother and Pa were neighbors in Manila and have known each other for years.

It was a long and exhausting day. We were grateful for all the help and caring we received.

No comments: